Re: etch/lenny ext3 compatibility

2009-03-19_14:22:45-0400 Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>:

> The inode size of existing filesystems is always left alone.  According
> to mke2fs(8) it is not even possible to change it after the filesystem
> has been created.
>
> For the record, the etch kernel should not have any problems with 256
> byte inodes, but etch's grub version cannot deal with them, see
> http://bugs.debian.org/463236.

I ran into a similar grub issue already, trying to use knoppix on a
lenny install.  Made me crazy for a few hours until I finally found a
reference to this.  That's how I found out that the default inode size
had changed.

Interesting to note that mke2fs on RHEL doesn't include the -I option at
all.  It creates 128 byte inodes, and that's that.

There shouldn't be any trouble with the kernel I imagine.  Are there any
userspace applications that could be affected if, on etch, I try to use
a 256 byte inode ext3 filesystem created on lenny?  I'm thinking ACL's.

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager