etch/lenny ext3 compatibility

As I understand things, lenny's ext3 implementation uses 64 bit inodes,
to be forward compatible with ext4, etc.

I have FC disks that I'd like to use on either of two servers I have.
One is in production, running etch.  The other is new, and I'd like to
use lenny.  Will lenny read/write ext3 filesystems created on etch in
such a way that I can still use the filesystem on etch?  I imagine going
the other way would be impossible.

??

--
Ron Peterson