Re: Checking the md5sum of a burned CD

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 04:33:09 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:

> I've burned a CD from a .iso image. Now I want to verify the burning
> process worked correctly (there were no errors reported). Note, I
> verified the md5sums of the .iso's before I burned them. So now I'd like
> to check the burned CD against that md5sum.

The best approach for checking burned CDs, which is what Red Hat used, is
implanting a MD5 checksum to it by implantisomd5, and verify later with
checkisomd5.

So the CD itself and checkisomd is all you need to verify it, even after
several years, and you've forgot where you put its original md5sum. The
implantisomd5 and checkisomd5 are available in Debian (later) as the
isomd5sum package.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/