Re: Help! Grub is broken

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

> 明覺:
> >
> > It all happened suddenly. I was editing a file in gedit 3 minutes ago, and
> > when I was saving it, it said "readonly filesystem".
>
> What's in /var/log/syslog?
I installed a new system in another partition, and use e2fsck to
recover that broken system partition, after the e2fsck completed, I
found that all my working files are lost(it's not strange, my system
become broken when I was trying to save my working files.) then i lost
interest in the broken system and formatted it so that I can install a
new system in it.

> > then i restarted my
> > machine, it ccould not shutdown for it said it's a readonly file system.
> > then i pressed reset to force it restart, then it stopped at "grup loading.
> > please wait... error 17", what happened to my machine, is it a virus? how to
> > recover my system? thanks
>
> First: today's viruses generally don't destroy their hosts anymore.
> Instead, they use their host as a platform for criminal behaviour. You
> don't earn any money by rendering other people's computer, but
> apparently you earn a lot by making it part of a botnet.

you are right,  it should not be a viruses, maybe it's because my
harddisk is broken, how to check my harddisk? now I have installed a
new system on it and it is working fine now, but I'm afraid it will be
broken suddenly again after a few days, so I should know clear about
the situation of my harddisk. is there any tool to check the health of
my harddisk? thank you.

--
My platform is debian sid AMD64 gnome.