Re: Latest Power Management tool for AMD64

T o n g a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> My CPU is AMD 64. What's the latest and easiest power management tool for
> AMD64?
>
> powernowd is less complicated than cpufreqd or cpudyn, but I also heard
> sayings that the 2.6 kernel ondemand cpufreq governor might be even more
> simpler, and there are many other tools like acpid, powersaved, powertop,
> etc, etc.
>
> CPU power management has always been a problem to me, I never get it
> worked before for my desktop PC. Any hint or points to detailed
> explanations/steps is appreciated.
>
> thanks

I use cpufreq ondemand compiled inside the kernel, no userspace daemon,
only libcpufreq and cpufrequtils to interact with the kernel.
On an amd64 x2 the results are very good since the cpu supports more
speed steps, on the other hand there is not much to gain on my intel
core2duo since it only have a few steps, the lower being 2Ghz for a
2.66Ghz cpu.

In my (limited) experience ondemand is the only governor worse using,
other aren't doing much or they simply slow things down by always
reducing the cpu frequency.

My kernels have been home-rolled for a long time, I don't now the
default cpufreq governor in Debian kernels, I would guess "userspace" as
for most distributions.

Tom