Re: reboot/shutdown hangs at 'acpid:exiting'

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:39:05 -0400, Michael Yang wrote:

> After recent upgrade, my system becomes kind of mess up.
>
> My story is that I did a apt-get upgrade of some packages to squeeze/sid
> by accident(I didn't change the 'testing' in my source.list). So I
> downgrade most of packages back to dist lenny by pinning packages except
> the kernel (2.6.24 kernel) and few packages. Everything works well but
> the acpid.

Michael, it probably would have been better to have left this in the other
thread because it really is a continuation of your original problem and
that way, others could have the full story. Remember I warned you that
there were no guarantees with an APT pinning downgrade from a mixed system.

Because you had that mixed system and what you tried (downgrade) is not
really supported, this current problem could be related.

> The problem is every time when I reboot or shutdown the system, the
> screen hangs at the message 'acpid exiting'.
>
> The version of acpid is 1.0.8-1 which is lenny version.
>
> I also tried the new version but didn't get through.

Presumably, you upgraded to that 2.6.24 kernel while your system was Etch
because you need some functionality that it provided. It would be good if
you could remember (or check your system log) if anything else had to be
upgraded at the time you did the original upgrade to 2.6.24.

I'm not clear what you mean by "didn't get through" but it probably
doesn't matter, a squeeze version won't necessarily solve your problem.

> Anybody has ideas of how to resolve the problem.

If it were my system, I would try a newer kernel, the one from the release
version of Lenny. It might work better with the version of acpid that you
now have.