Re: Postfix Version/Upgrading

Matthew Smith <matt@smiffytech.com> wrote:

>Quoth Jeff Grossman at 2009-03-16 14:32...
>> I am running Debian Testing.  I just switched from Sendmail to Postfix
>> on my machine.  This machine is used as an e-mail and web server.  I
>> noticed that the version in Debian is 2.5.5.  The current version
>> available on postfix.org is 2.5.6.  Is it safe/smart to download the
>> source from postfix.org and do a make upgrade or should I just wait
>> for the Debian version to be updated to 2.5.6?
>
>I'd be inclined to go to the Postfix site and have a look at the
>changelogs to see what the difference in the two version is.  If the
>later version isn't fixing a nasty security flaw,  I wouldn't be too
>worried about using the older one.

Thanks for the information.  After reading the release_notes there are
a few fixes to the milter support which I use.  What is the best
method to update Postfix on Debian?  Is it safe to just download the
source and run make upgrade?  Will that mess anything up once Debian
releases the 2.5.6 version via their repository?

Thanks,
Jeff