Re: GTK fonts too big

On 15.03.09 19:33, Chris Jones wrote:
> Are you talking about the fonts that GTK apps use to display "content",
> or the fonts used in GTK widgets (menus, toolbars.. etc.) ??

Widgets.

> > Is there any way to force GTK to ignore DPI for displaying fonts?  I
> > did NOT ask for better display to have bigger fonts, but to have them
> > smaller (my eyes are good yet).
>
> Assuming you are talking about widget fonts and that you are not using
> gnome as your desktop (?) .. just a few isolated GTK apps.. you may have
> to take a look at files called .gtkrc* or gtkrc (home directory.. /etc..
> possibly other places..) and figure out the syntax of the font-related
> statements by trial and error.

I already did and there were no settins there (but binding Ctrl-U to clear
current line).

> As to doing it a bit more efficiently and in a more user-friendly
> manner, I've had some success in the past with neat little utilities
> called gtk-theme-switch and gtk-theme-switch2 .. there's a not very
> obvious button on their main window where you can click and start a font
> chooser that lets you set the size of GTK widgets fonts and if IIRC, see
> the result of your changes w/o having to restart the apps or the X
> session..

I've been playing with gtk-theme-switch, and I found out that configuring
smaller font size did "fix" the behaviour. However I'm surprised that the
real font size in pixels is not the number I set in the gtk-theme-switch
(and in .gtkrc) but something different. Maybe the number does not specify
the size in pixels but in inches/100 ?

> This worked in "etch" and I have no idea if "lenny" has it as well.

I didn't need to set this in etch nor lenny yet.

> > I would like to keep correct DPI for other applications.
>
> At least that's the way I do it..
>
> First, I set the DPI to it's real value by dividing one of my screen's
> dimensions in pixels by its physical dimensions in inches, and _then_ I
> proceed to change font sizes to suit my preferences.
>
> The last time I had to go through the font-tweaking hassle was about two
> years ago and some/all of the above may no longer be true. In this event
> I'm sure s/o more knowledgeable will correct me.

I've had correct DisplaySize, but that was what caused the problem after
upgraqding to lenny.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759