Re: debian/lenny: keyboard doesn't work after software upgrade

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Thorny <thorntreehome@gmail.com> wrote:
I have reordered your post to be in chronological order, suggestion below.
thanks. I post message in my mail client that puts quotes below reply. I'll follow your rules.

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:22:11 -0400, Michael Yang wrote:

> The problem is resolved by downgrading xkb-data from 1.5-2 to 1.3-2.
>
> Thanks.

Is there a specific reason you're using a 2.6.24 kernel with Lenny? My
Dell works fine with 2.6.26.

The version of xkb-data in Lenny is 1.3-2 so you may want to inspect your
sources.list, your "upgrades" might be doing something of which you are
not aware.
I've been happily using 2.6.24 kernel without meeting much problems. Recently just out of curiosity I did a upgrade (not dist-upgrade yet). Is there outstanding improvements in 2.6.26 that make it strongly recommended to dist-upgrade? Because I have many packages and drivers to be re-compiled if I do a dist-upgrade.

The source in my source list is:
deb http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

I think the problem is caused by 'testing' dist previously referred to 'Lenny', but now referred to unstable? If I want to update my system for lenny, do I need to change the 'testing' to 'stable'?

Thanks.