Re:Plaxo

On Sunday 15 March 2009 02:03:21 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > I just got a notification that "debian-user" just joined plaxo. (Since
> > debian- user is in my address book, we can now connect, share photos, etc
> > .....:-) )
>
> Why would we want to do such a thing?

Why I posted in the first place.

History: I joined plaxo before I knew what linux or ldap were. Ran their
toolbar in outlook-express but found it hung up my network access on bootup so
had to take it off. Now I only use plaxo as an offline backup of my
addressbook. It reads/writes netscape's format.

After going over to Linux, I started bugging them about ldap, to no avail.

Plaxo has freebee and paid versions. I will not pay for such things.

Another nice service that started out free and now charges a reasonable rate
for a lot of offline backup space is livedrive. They have a windows interface
that looks like another disk drive, hence their name. I have been bugging them
to give simple (secured) ftp access. There is already a plasmoid around to use
that (or I would roll my own--use rsync to sync directories maybe. Their
website javascript was problematic when I tried it.