SOLVED, sortof... Re: I'm rather embarrassed to even be asking this...

Jimmy Johnson wrote:

Justin I would call SuperMicro, I see their phone number in the manual.

Well, I didn't call, I emailed.  This is what I got in response:

"The ECC function is automatically enabled when you plug in an ECC memory. Attached is a testing BIOS that will show "ECC mode" on the Post screen."

Wow, they want me to flash the BIOS with a 'testing bios' just so I can see it on POST.

Looks like next time I have to reboot the machine, I'll run memtest and see what it says. :-/