Re: ifplugd versus laptop-net

Bob Alexander <bob@ngi.it> wrote:

> Dear friends,
> after having used ifplugd for quite a while with total satisfaction,
> as some of you might recall since a couple of weeks my laptop finished
> booting without the interface being IP configured.
>
> I tried uninstalling ifplugd and installing laptop-net and the machine
> again does what is expected: come up with a DHCP served address at
> home and in the office and reconfigure eth0 when the cable has been
> replugged.
>
> So I gather that makes the choice between the two packages for me :)
>
> Hope this is of some interest to someone,

It was to me, but unfortunately I never had time to play with either so
I was just using ifup manually :-(.

However, I just recently purchased a new ThinkPad T500 and installed a
newly release copy of lenny. The "laptop" task was preselected during
the installation, so I got whatever it had. Almost all of the laptopy
things worked out of the box.

Unfortunately, I do require a fixed IP address on my home wireless
network. gnome-network-manager does not support this. I replaced it with
wicd and it has been managing both my wired and wireless networks quite
satisfactorily.

Now it is my turn to hope that this is of some interest to someone :-).