Re: Lenny/exim4: how to set helo for outgoing SMTP

Kilian wrote:

another option would be to ask your isp to change the PTR record on that
IP to the  HELO exim uses.

I have a firewall with a public IP and a PTR record for that IP. There
are several hosts behind the firewall with private IP addresses.

i have the same, but i have setup one of them to relay the mails for all of them, not sure about your setup but this would simplify your problem a lot.
Some of
them send mails to the internet, so I cannot change the PTR of the
firewall to one of those hostnames. I need exim to identify itself in
the HELO sequence as the PTR record for the firewall; RFC 822 states:

  HELLO (HELO)

   This command is used to identify the sender-SMTP to the
   receiver-SMTP.  The argument field contains the host name of
   the sender-SMTP.

Now to the receiver SMTP, my host appears as the firewall, so IMHO, it
must identify itself with the hostname set in the DNS for the firewall.

correct, but note that that it has to identify with the hostname of your "reverse" DNS, it took me a while before i understood this concept myself.

[...]
HELO is for identifying the mailserver, not the domain it sends for.
there is no reason why the hostname of the mailserver should match the
domain names of the mails it sends out

I agree.

if both HELO and the PTR record say mail.server.com there is no problem,
whatever the domain of the send mail might be.

Exactly, and herein lies my problem...

maybe i mist something, but what does is it precisely use as its hostname at this very moment?

--

www.songshu.org
Just another collection of nuts