Having trouble re-installing Xorg and gnome/kde4

This might run on a little long, but I'm going to try to explain everything I've tried up to this point.

I've been running Debian on my laptop for about 8 years now (although the actual laptop has changed several times since then, I've copied the hard drive image each time to the next machine). Over that time, the "preferred way" to do things has evolved. For example, network management used to be handled by home-made scripts, then ifplugd, then waproamd, then wpasupplicant, and now it seems to be handled by network-manager. Because of this evolution (and because Debian doesn't seem to automatically upgrade me to the "new" way each time), I also occasionally install the latest Ubuntu to see how *it* does things and then I try to massage my Debian config so that it works just as well.

So, lately, my Gnome stopped working. I'd try to log in with gdm and I would just get my desktop background but without any folders or any start menu or anything. However, I could use Kde4, but it was a little buggy. So, I decided to uninstall both of them, then remove the /etc/kde* and /etc/gnome* folders and re-install them and start over. This didn't work quite as well as I had hoped. I think it's partly because I don't know what *one* package I'm supposed to add to install the whole thing. In the past, to install kde, you had to install something like "kde-base" or something. Apparently, it has changed.

Anyway, as long as it wasn't working, I figured I'd clean up my X system, too. So, I purged just about everything X-related from the system. However, I still had a lot of crazy junk in /etc/X11. So, I grep'd /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list to find everything that was supposed to be in /etc/X11. Anything not listed in some file in /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list got moved to an "old" folder, so the only files remaining in /etc/X11 were ones which were part of some installed package.

So, then, I re-installed all of the xorg stuff. But then running startx just dumps me back to the console... and running gdm just gives me a blank screen. I'm thinking it might be because xorg can't find anything to run for the xsession. Strangely, even though /etc/X11/Xsession is listed in one of the *.list files, it didn't get installed when I re-installed everything.... even when I use "apt-get install --reinstall". I copied the *old* Xsession script from the "old" folder... but I'm still not getting much further.

So, I'm kinda stuck. Suppose I wanted to completely purge my kde/gnome/xorg configs and start over. What's the simplest way of doing that?

- Joe