SMART -d ata or -d sat

Hi Debianites,

I have just installed smartmontools on my Lenny box and am using smartd
to monitor two SATA IDE drives.  I've read on the web that the right
option to use for such a drive is "-d ata" to force smartd to treat it
as an ATA drive.  On the other hand, when starting smartd without any -d
switch for the two drives in smartd.conf, smartd reported that it is
automatically using "-d sat" for ATA disk behind SAT layer.

smartd does not complain with either, -d sat or -d ata.  The only
difference is that, in the first case, it reports to be monitoring two
SCSI drives, while in the latter it says they're ATA drives.

So I'm a bit confused about which of the two switches, sat or ata, is
the correct one to use.  Or maybe it doesn't matter.  Any pointers are
appreciated.

Cheers,
Norbert