Re: how to solve the problem "Could not bind sock on port 21: Address already in use"?

Star Liu wrote:

>> Having said that I wouldn't recommend ftp for anything except anonymous
>> access.  sftp is now widely supported in file transfer clients even on
>> MS-Windows.  sftp is a lot more secure and doesn't have any problems with
>> firewalls like ftp does.
> thank you, I have stopped inetd using 21 port by commenting out that
> line about ftp, but unfortunitely, I have not setup my ftp server, it
> seems the best ftp server is proftpd, but sid doesn't support
> it(why?), then how could i setup a ftp server on sid? I have tried
> more then 5 ftpd servers, like wzdftpd, pureftpd,...., but none is
> successful, any suggestion? thanks

most of us are using sftp I guess. The only reason I'm using tftp is for
nfs-boot/root for diskless clients and I am pretty happy atftpd and tftp

windows users use then WinSCP or putty to exchange files with the server

besides if you have something running on port 21 itshould be an ftp server.
why don't you try what you have. Instead of disable it, why not remove it?

Anyway, your descisions

regards