Re: iceweasel thinks it has java but websites disagree

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 18:39:14 -0700, Ross Boylan (ross@biostat.ucsf.edu) wrote:

> I've encountered 2 different websites today that told me I need a java
> plugin installed.  But iceweasel shows that it has such a plugin.
>
> Can anyone suggest how I can diagnose or fix this?  The system is
> basically lenny (including non-free and the Marillat archives).
>
> For example, my schools VPN uses Juniper Networks and says
>   You are using the secure gateway Java Session Manager, which requires
> that your browser support:
>       * Scripting of Java applets.
>       * Microsoft Java 5.0.0.3802 (or above) or Sun Java 2 Runtime
>         Environment 1.4.1 (or above).
> You currently have the following version of Java installed on your
> system: N/A
>
> To download the latest version of Sun Java, go to http://www.java.com
>
> My list of plugins show Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_17-b-4
>
> The other site with the complaint was for MS Live Meeting.
> https://www112.livemeeting.com/cc/test2007/webJoin.  Oddly, that works
> on one machine (the same one that got the previous error), but not
> another.

That last URL does not appear to involve any Java at all and it even
opens ok in w3m, so an error regarding a lack of Java seems especially
odd.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.