Re: Advice about ext3, please

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 09:10 +0000, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 05:15, Steven Demetrius
> <steven.demetrius@fiwwi.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone here power off their computer without first shutting it down?
> > Maybe, but after having to spend time repairing the system and/or rebuilding
> > it or losing data they most likely don't anymore.
>
> Power outages still occur.
>
> I was under the impression ext3 was the Good Thing™ and ext4 is the
> future, but with all the counter-claims i got curious. If uptime is
> important you'll want ext3 over ext2 (not this case i guess), if data
> loss is important (if?) i think the journal helps... And lately disk
> capacity is less and less a problem, so why not ext3? Btw, how does
> one know how much space is the journal using?
>
> Nuno Magalhães
> LU#484677

The discussion is about removable USB HD used for data backup or data
transfer and whether to use ext2 or ext3 file system.

Replying to and quoting only the above paragraph takes it out of
contexts and changes its meaning.

The solutions to power outage is to buy and install a UPS.

To find out how much space is used you can look up the ext3
specification and do the calculations or format the drive with both ext2
and ext3 then note the difference in space left.

Please read the entire thread for more details.

Steven.