Re: Yahoo Messenger replacement?

steve wrote:
M. Lewis wrote:
steve wrote:
M. Lewis wrote:
I'd love to get my wife's machine off of M$ software. The only problem
has been Yahoo Messenger. My wife is dependent on YM to talk with her
family. My wife's family goes to the internet cafe to chat with her, so
they don't have any control over what version of YM is being used. Not
only do they chat, they use the webcam. Prior (a couple of years ago) I
tried several Linux substitutes for YM, including Yahoo's own YM for
Linux (which was the worst).

Hopefully things have changed though and there's a good substitute
available for Linux now.

What is the best recommendation for a replacement for YM on Linux? It
must be compatibl
e with YM and it must be able to use the webcam.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Mike

ive been using gyach for years.  works great, while others are
struggling ie. pidgin, empathy to support video/voice gyach has had it
for as long as i can remember.

http://gyachi.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

there may be someone who has one precompiled deb for debian, wait for
another to jump in. ( i use it on ubuntu, might work might not)

you may also want to recommend skype.  both voice and video there as
well.

Thanks Steve & Daryl. There doesn't seem to be a .deb for Sid amd64. At
least not there. I tried installing it the old fashion way, but got
errors with that as well.

Thanks,
Mike

yeah your going to have problems with 64 bit.  Unless your doing some
processor intensive calculations or encoding theres no reason to be
using 64 bit in my book. (judging by what you said it being your wifes
laptop, i doubt thats the case)  Ive always gotten nothing but headaches
trying to use it.

Well, problem is, I have to demonstrate to her that it is going to work properly first. Now if there were a Live CD with that on it, that would be great!

--

There is no problem that, when programmed just right, isn't more complicated.
  23:00:01 up  4:26,  2 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.05, 0.09

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org