Re: etch -> lenny, update-initramfs interrupts dpkg

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 05:30:47PM -0600, Mark Copper wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Updating from etch to lenny following release notes.
>>
>> "aptitude upgrade" ends with
>>
>> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
>> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
>> /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs: line 164: mktemp: command not found
>> update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18
>> dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
>> to correct the problem.
>>
>> but running dpkg --configure -a results in the sam error.
>>
>> Besides it's strange that mktem should not be installed already, but
>>
>> aptitude show mktemp
>>
>> says, no, it's not installed.  But if I do try to install it:
>>
>> deneb:~# apt-get install mktemp
>> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a'
>> to correct the problem.
>>
>> So it seems I'm stuck in a vicious circle.
>
> Did you try downloading mktemp package with wget/curl or "apt-get -d
> ..." and use dpkg to install with some -f options in man pages?

No I didn't, but I would have if the thought had occurred to me.  What
made you think of it?   I don't know how to get the deb manually, but
I managed to compile from source.  And then 'dpkg -i' worked without
any coaxing.  And then 'dpkg --configure -a' ran without complaint (OK
it choked on vim).

Thank you.

>> Can this circle be broken?
>
> Unless you did something funny, this is bug worth reporting.

I almost surely did.  But it bothers me the mktemp pkg would vanish...