Re: I don't need an MTA

On 01/31/2009 03:58 PM, Nuno Magalhães wrote:
Greetings.

I use webmail, i'm not running a mail server. At most i'd use an MUA
to comunicate with whichever mail services i use. However, i must have
exim4 installed. How can i work around this? Regardless of how much
resources it requires i find it irritating. The real nudge is having
"Starting MTA: " lagging by boot by half a minute or so.

That's the problem, not the fact that you have exim. It's misconfigured somehow. (But since I don't use exim, I couldn't tell you how to diagnose the problem.)

Oddly enough running grep exim * on /var/log only returns matches in
the popularity contest, but not in dmesg.

Can i have a regular desktop Debian without an MTA?

Desktop?  Yes.

Linux?  No.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.