Re: I don't need an MTA

On Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 21:58:01 +0000, Nuno Magalh??es wrote:

> How can i work around this? Regardless of how much
> resources it requires i find it irritating. The real nudge is having
> "Starting MTA: " lagging by boot by half a minute or so.

  You need one, as far as the system is concerned, to ensure
 that you have cronjob mail, etc, going to the correct local user.

  To avoid having exim4 running you could look at some of the other
 MTAs which are much more lightweight - including my own "skxmail":

    http://blog.steve.org.uk/tags/skxmail/

  Generally you can find a list via:

     apt-cache search mail-transport-agent

> Can i have a regular desktop Debian without an MTA?

  No.  Not without creating your own package which provides
  "mail-transport-agent" - otherwise things like cron will fail
 to be installable.  But you can install a leightweight one, or
 simply install exim4 but curtail it such that it doesn't run:

    update-rc.d -f exim4 remove

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service