Re: Use of Swap Space

On 01/30/2009 09:54 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 02:52:34AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:54:34AM +0000, Dean Chester wrote:
Hi
I recently noticed that my CPU is at 100% when the temperature of my CPU is
high. Taking a look at System Monitor i have also discovered that my swap
space is being used while only 13% of the RAM is, why isn't is using the
rest of the RAM. Has anyone got any ideas why?
No. CPU utilization has nothing directly to do with swap usage.

If a 100% CPU usage causes your computer to *over*heat (which is
something you did not write above) you'll have a problem elsewhere (e.g.
a dist-upgrade that includes tex-live :-) )

Or, is the board firmware slowing down the CPU to allow it to cool,
which makes a basically idling debian system to use a higher percentage
of available CPU (less idle time).  Remember, its a percentage of CPU
capacity.  If the CPU slows down, the the available capacity decreases.

But "100% CPU usage" isn't the same as "running at 100% of rated clock speed".

Is *that* what you are really referring to?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA