flash / iceweasel / all that

Hi all -

I should probably admit that I haven't been booting my Debian install lately, and it has mainly been due to irritation with Iceweasel and not doing anything constructive about it b/c it worked fine over on another Linux system I have (no names ...).

I am running testing and have been for some time. I don't recall when Flash stopped working, but this has been the case for some time. At first, I searched in Aptitude for anything related to Flash, just to make sure I had everything available installed. No help.

I just read over a few threads in the -user list, & on the strength of what I found I tried simply following the "install the latest version" link from a Flash-intensive site ... chose the (Ubuntu) .deb and installed it. Restarted Iceweasel, enabled the new Flash player v. 10 in the plugins dialogue and disabled the older ones. Restarted Iceweasel.

No Flash. Still got the lovely

"Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player."

Javascript is on. I did a dpkg-reconfigure on adobe-flashplugin. Restarted Iceweasel, checked plugins ... and v. 10 of the Flash player had disappeared and I was still getting the same message when I tried to play anything on Youtube.

I'm 98% certain I am doing something stupid here, but would appreciate it if someone could point me in the direction of ... something that will tell me how to diagnose the problem and make it all better. Cuz I'm close to throwing the laptop (or just my Debian installation) against the wall.

Thx,

Glenn

Glenn Becker - burningc@sdf.lonestar.org