re: postgresql setup

This gets stranger by the second. I managed to get postgresql going as user postgres with postgresql -h 127.0.0.1 & <cr>. Then I was able to run createuser dashielljt successfully and createdb too. So I exited the postgres identity and dropped back to dashielljt and tried psql -h 127.0.0.1 and psql asked if connections were being accepted locally on 127.0.0.1 and would not run. so I go back to postgres and ran psql -s and got psql up. I tried \i basics.sql in the /usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc-8.3 tutorial directory and perfectly useable sql queries came up and ran on a weather table several operations for San Fransisco and Hayward. So I'm pretty sure something needs configuring and then it will run. I've been warned about localhost and maybe the warning is correct even without an ssh server installed.