Re: Who is allowed to help on this list. was: Re: Scim does not work with openoffice -- off-line

I find the idea that knowing 'sufficient basics' is a requirement to
be able to help others. Most of the times, it is simple configuration
file changes that might be enough to get a software working. One does
not need 'sufficient basics' to tell someone else what configuration
changes he made.

Of course, the person taking the advice might sometimes need
'sufficient basics' to be sure whether that the configuration changes
he would be doing on the advice of someone else, does not turn out to
be fatal or deletes important files or simply grant some wings to the
computer that would fly away from the house.

I have received a lot of help from experts and non-experts and I would
like all the advice flowing in when I face issues.