Who is allowed to help on this list. was: Re: Scim does not work with openoffice -- off-line

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 16:15:18 you wrote:
> Please be careful to tell some info like this to others.  I know I fail
> sometime but ... knowing sufficient basics is good idea before telling
> people what to do.

I said only that I had done it, not that it was a universal solution.  I did
it, it worked for me.  That is all I claimed.

You appear to believe that one should not ever try to help anyone unless one
is a package maintainer.  That is surely ridiculous?

I am bringing this back online because I would like the opinions of the rest
of you.  Is it the protocol for this list that only those with in depth
expertise should make any attempt to help others?  And that those of us who
are not experts (and I cannot be the only one) should simply shut up and
never try to help, even where we have met and, from a practical point of view
(i.e. it worked for us) solved, the problem under discussion?

Lisi