Grr! Sound problems again

About a year and a half ago, after a lot of experimentation, I
finally got sound working OK on my Debian Sid system. The solution
turned out to be quite simple. To save others the same trouble, I
put up a kind of "sound instruction" on my website
(http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/dmix.html).

But something must have changed in Sid recently, because sound has
become unreliable again. After I visit a sound-using site like
youtube (let's call this "online sound"), sound will no longer be
heard when playing a stored avi file with gmplayer, for instance
("offline sound"). To play offline sounds I have to kill iceweasel
first (or call /etc/init.d/alsasound restart, which kills
iceweasel as a side effect..).

Well, I know this is Sid, which has this tendency of breaking
things which work by "fixing" them. But normally these things get
"re-fixed" after a few days. This new sound problem has now been
going on for a few weeks. I cannot file a bug report about it
because I have no way to know which program causes the problem.
Any help appreciated.

Regards, Jan