Re: Which FS for USB Flash Drive

On Tuesday 2009 January 27 13:07:55 Kushal Koolwal wrote:
>Does anybody have any experience with installing Debian (say Lenny) on USB
> flash drives?

Not yet.  I am interested in carrying around a Debian installation in the
future though.

> I would like to install Debian on my PQI 4 GB USB flash drive
> but I am not sure which filesystem to use - ext2, ext3, XFS?

Probably the best r/w filesystem for flash based devices in JFFS2.

>My primary concern/criteria in selecting a fs would be
> throughput/performance.

JFFS2 should do fairly well there, although I haven't seen any good
benchmarks.

>I am tried searching around the internet but most of the articles talk about
> preparing a LIVE USB flash drive which is *not* what I would like to do. I
> just want a plain Debian system on my USB flash drive just like on any IDE
> Hard Drive.

Live is exactly what you want, but it can't be a direct conversion of a Live
CD, since they generally use a r/o squashfs, for the compression.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))