Re: Which FS for USB Flash Drive

* Johannes Wiedersich <jowied@googlemail.com> [2009 Jan 27 16:25 -0600]:

> ... or ext2 if you don't want a journal and reduce the r/w load of the
> device [1]:
>
> > ext2 is still recommended over journaling file systems on bootable
> > USB flash drives and other solid-state drives. ext2 performs fewer
> > writes than ext3 since it does not need to write to the journal.

IIRC, it's also recommended to use the noatime option to mount to
reduce the writes even more and prolong the life of the flash drive.

While I wouldn't recommend it for daily use due to its model of always
running as the root user, I chose to install Puppy Linux to a flash
drive and it works well.

- Nate >>