wrote:

From: Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.med...@gmail.com> Subject: Problems
with installation of OpenOffice 3.0 To:
debian-u...@lists.debian.org Date: Monday, January 26, 2009,
11:20 PM
From openoffice web site I downloaded the tarball
OOo_3.0.0_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz and installed it
in my Debian system.  But then, when I start openoffice, it fails
with the following error message: $ openoffice.org3 /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice: line 124: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/pagein: No
such file or directory /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin:
error while loading shared libraries: libuno_sal.so.3: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory .  Anybody who
has a direct experience on the matter, who installed OpenOffice from tarball? Thanks for any help Rodolfo
Openoffice offers a package for Debian that contains all the
necessary debs. You can get it by making your choice here:

http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US

I've installed Openoffice3 using this package (after uninstalling
the default Openoffice packages on my lenny system), and everything
seems to be working fine.

HTH's.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try it. But, should I choose the
`Linux DEB' or `Linux 64 DEB' package? This is not clear to me.

It depends on your version: if you're running 64 bit Debian then use the 64 bit OOo. It works fine for me installed via :
dpkg -i -R ./DEBS
assuming that the DEBS directory is immediately below your current working directory. Don't forget that you need to completely remove any previous version(s): I did this via Synaptic with an "uninstall completely" operation for all the packages with openoffice in them.

Peter HB