init problems

Hello all,

I have a machine that I am attempting to boot over the network. I have compiled a kernel for it, Debian Lenny Linux version 2.6.26, with nfs file system and root file system support. For a complete rundown on how I have created the setup, please see:

http://www.shadlen.org/~maria/pmwiki/Work/Gpxe

Things work well up until it is time to mount the file system from fstab. The mount is not happening because statd is never started, and statd is not starting because portmap is not starting. I suspect it is related to this bug:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/fe95c99e1dbc5aa1

In that discussion some people say that portmap 6.0.9 fixes this for them, but this is the version of portmap I am using, and it has not fixed it. I have posted to the bug discussion, although weirdly it seems to have posted my message as a new thread. What I am wondering is if anyone has any other ideas of things to try to get this to work. I did try the suggestion of adding ASYNCMOUNTNFS=no to /etc/default/rcS, to no avail.

thanks,
maria