Re: Fsck encrypted filesystem

2009/1/26  <lineman@ruiner.halo.nu>:
> Hi
>
> I have a relaively recent debian install with LUKS encrypted filesystem, default options.
>
> An error has been detected on the HD and it will not boot anymore, FSCK wants the root password to do system maintenence.
>

> I do not know the root password and I would like to fsck the drive.
>
> How can I do this?

Wow, good luck with this (Having never played with encrypted volumes
because of the added complexity and problems), My advice would be to:

1: Find the root password.
2: Implement recovery procedures.

or
1: Boot using a rescue media with your volume encryption key, mount
the root fs and modify the root password.
2: fsck the file system.
3: Implement recovery procedures.

or
Reinstall the system.

Hopefully someone else here will be able to give you some pointers
although by encrypting the drive you are trying to thwart the exact
things you need to accomplish.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.