Re: resolv.conf getting erased - every 5 minutes

tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:

> An update to the problem discussed below: on connecting to my wireless
> with dhclient ath0, I saw a warning that /etc/resolv.conf was not a
> symlink to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf. This was a consequence of
> having to manually correct /etc/resolv.conf to point at my wireless
> router for dns.
>
> So I deleted /etc/resolv.conf, and replaced it with a symlink to
> /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf, after confirming that this target did
> contain correct dns info. Twice in the last half hour since doing this,
> this file has been cleared - only the comment lines at the top remain,
> all the dns info is gone. This breaks my internet connection, or at
> least my ability to resolve addresses.
>
> Calling dhclient ath0 restores the file, but this is getting really
> annoying. Any idea how I find out what is messing up my resolv.conf
> files?

Sorry to be a pest, but I've now determined that
/etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf is being cleared every five minutes.
There is nothing in my leases files, or in dhcp.conf, or in the message
I get from dhclient that indicates that the wireless lease should last
less than hours/days. This is beyond me, but it's making my computer
unusable for anything that requires internet connections. Which is just
about everything...

Thanks for any suggestions,

Tyler