Vidio card recommendation needed (was:Re: Can't start X after upgrade to Lenny)

I posted this under the original thread, but since there were no responses I figured that most readers had already determined that they could not help with that problem and so did not read the post. Since this is a totally different track to solving my problem I felt a new subject was in order.

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> I would probably be tempted to buy an nvidia or ati card and dump the
> sis driver.

I don't think that I have actually purchased a video card separate from
the PC, or motherboard since my TRS-8- Model III died and I bought my
first PC compatible. That would have been about 26 years ago. Getting
a new board might not be that bad of an idea, but, as I have not
recently had to make such a purchase I have not looked into what is good,
bad, works with Linux, etc. I am not looking to spend a lot of money
and I don't need a fancy gamers board. I just need something that does
the job. I noticed that Fry's has several inexpensive EVGA boards,
specifically a 7200GS w/128MB or 256MB PCI-Express and an 8400GS w/512MB
for only $10.00 more. I don't mind the extra $10 for double to
quadruple the memory and a faster core, but is this a good board with
solid support? With rebates, these boards are going for $29.99 to
$39.99. Are there better boards that can be had for similar prices? Is
there a different line that I should look into? I don't want to start
any religious wars over what is the best graphics card. I just need a
solid card that works and doesn't have issues like the onboard Sis
chips seem to have.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com