postgresql setup question

I managed to make the postgresql cluster with initdb but can't do anything with createuser because postgresql by default is trying to use a unix socket at address 5432. I'm running on amd hardware and don't know what needs to be done to either enable this socket or go with another alternative so this socket problem goes away. In earlier notes I had used to set up earlier versions of postgresql which I used to try to set 8.3 up I didn't have this problem so am wondering what additional information I need.