Re: xdmcp remote login, can log in to the server from one computer but not another

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 06:48:37PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> I'm trying to setup xdmcp login on one of my servers.
>
> This server has two network interfaces (actually 4, but two active).
>
> I'm trying to log in to X using xdmcp (enabled via gdm config) from two
> clients, one connected directly via gigabit ethernet and the other over 100mb
> network via an intermidiate switch.
>
> The setup:
>
> client one <--- (network) ---> server <--- (direct) ---> client two
> 132.66.40.189           132.66.41.26/192.168.1.1             192.168.1.2
>
> client two connects with no problem. Client one sees the correct details for
> the sever once it's given the address but hangs on connect (all I see is the
> gray screen and the mouse cursor, nothing comes up)
>
> The server is running gdm with xdmcp enabled, no firewall at the moment.

I could be completely wrong, but I have not managed to get gdm to
support xdmcp logins for about a year now.  Symptoms are as you
described, on Suse11 and Ubuntu8.?? systems.  Some discussion of the
problem on various forums, but no fix that I can see.  Gdm worked on
earlier versions of the same distro's.

I end up having to use kdm, which works.

Rgds,
--
Mike Bishop
Willow, Alaska