Need Help with Display in Chroot

Following Debian Reference 8.6.35.1-3 I have created a directory
/sid-32bit, used debootstrap to populate it with sid i386, modified
inittab to make F8 open a console for the chroot and added "do
s/vt7/vt9" in the [servers] section of gdm.conf.

Problem #1.  Only one display can run at a time.  That is, to run the
chroot display (F8, /etc/init.d/gdm start) I must first stop the main
display (F1, /etc/init.d/gdm stop) so it is not posible to toggle
between the main display (F7) and the chroot display (F9).

Problem #2.  If I have the chroot display running (F9) and toggle to the
chroot console (F8) the display crashes and must be restarted.

Problem #3.  There are some problems with the chroot display.  Iceape
runs and the web is accessable but any attempt to start a terminal
window fails (does nothing) although xterm is install.

Perhaps there is a better place to ask these questions?

I have done a number of google searches and found, for example, an article "Schroot - chroot for any users" in debian-administration.org which is very helpful
but dated 27 Nov 2007 but the command xhost + reports it cannot find any
displays.

Does any one know of a site that ties everything about the chroot and
displays together?

Tom