Re: No video in iceweasel or konqueror (lenny standard install)

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:57:24AM -0500, JoeHill wrote:
> Originally I wrote:
> > Am I the only one having trouble with youtube and any other video site?
> >
> > I presume this is a flash issue.  This is a new Lenny install, not un
> Do you have the packaged version of Flash installed? What does this show?:
>
> dpkg -l |grep -i flash |awk '{print $2}'

flashplayer-mozilla
kwordquiz
libswfdec-0.6-90
swfdec-mozilla

I believe I installed the last one in an effort to solve the problem, it
wasn't installed automatically by the Lenny installation.  The lib is
probably a dependency.

> I would try removing any packaged version of flash (flashplugin-nonfree), and

There is no flashplugin-nonfree.  The only thing similar that aptitude
reports is flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound, that I have not installed so I
don't add yet another variable to the problem.  Keep in mind that iceweasel
reports flash 9 r100, so I does not appear that something is missing. My
sources.list has this:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main

> install the per-user version from Adobe (ie. install as a regular user), and
> see if that works.

I would like to keep the install as standard as possible, but if there's no
choice I'll do that.  Still I would like to understand why it doesn't work.
If it's something specific to my installation, it would be helpful to know,
if it's a problem with the installation (ie: everyone else has the same
problem), it would be useful to know too so I can do something (file a bug
report?).

Thanks for replying.

A.