C compiler cannot create executables (Ubuntu 8.04)

Hi to Everyone,

With Debian (and Ubuntu as well), implementation of new software by means of ready-to-install packages, is a most convenient feature. However, time comes when a package is not available, and then it becomes worthwhile to try a basic compile of a generic package, usually available as a tar.gz file. It recently happened to me with the 'Lifelines' package : the version available for Debian Sarge was buggy, the newer version without this bug was not available on the debian databases. I downloaded a generic (tarball ?) and compiled it, which worked OK.

Now, the same problem occurs with my new DELL laptop with factory-installed Ubuntu 8.04. So, I headed for the same install of the Lifelines software. However, it failed to work here. In the appropriate directory, I first typed './configure'. Things seemed to start all-right, but after a short while it said : "C compiler cannot create executables"

What do I miss so that I get such a reply ?

I also get this : "see config.log for more details". So, I made this logfile available on

http://www.teaser.fr/~bdebreil/config.log

Amongst other things, it says that I have gcc 4.2.3...

Thanks to anyone who will take a look and tell me what is wrong. I could try to find another Ubuntu package that would install without need to recompile, but it won't work, since there was another bug in the Lifelines program, that was corrected for me by the author of the program : he sent me a patch that I had to apply to a indiseq.c sourcefile, and then recompile it all... It did work on Debian Sarge on my desktop, it wont on my laptop if the c compiler cannot create executables !

Thanks in advance for any help