Re: Can't start X after upgrade to Lenny

> It worked fine in Etch and I really don't want to spend money on a new
> card if I don't have to.

if it was working in etch it's well supported. I have experienced similar
problems when changing Xorg versions. Finally I read a bit about the new
Xorg config and fixed it myself.

The worse case would be that after the upgrade you finshed with some missing
dependencies or broken libraries and so on ...

What did /var/log/Xorg.0.log say?

at least vesa should be working with any card if you've installed the
xorg-vesa package

regards