Re: fetchmail and exchange 2007

On 01/22/2009 08:27 AM, tyler wrote:
Hi,

My University just transferred my mail account to MS Exchange 2007. I
had been accessing my old account via fetchmail, using the following:

poll NON.EXCHANGE.SERVER with proto POP3 and options no dns uidl user 'MYUSERNAME' there with password 'MYPASSWORD' is 'tyler' here options fetchall

That was fine, but now it doesn't work - from my current .fetchmailrc:

poll exchange.mcgill.ca with proto POP3 and options no dns uidl user 'MYUSERNAME' there with password 'MYPASSWORD' is 'tyler' here options fetchall

I get the following errors in fetchmailconf:

fetchmail: 6.3.9-rc2 querying exchange.mcgill.ca (protocol POP3) at Thu 22 Jan 2009 10:08:10 AM AST: poll started
fetchmail: Trying to connect to 132.206.153.2/110...connection failed.
fetchmail: connection to exchange.mcgill.ca:pop3 [132.206.153.2/110] failed: Connection timed out.
fetchmail: POP3 connection to exchange.mcgill.ca failed: Connection timed out
fetchmail: 6.3.9-rc2 querying exchange.mcgill.ca (protocol POP3) at Thu 22 Jan 2009 10:11:19 AM AST: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

I've asked google, which gave me a lot of info, most of which I don't
understand. Can anyone give me some pointers for how to fix this? I'm
just working with a single laptop here, exchange.mcgill.ca to fetchmail
to emacs vm for receiving mail, exim to ISP for sending.

If the Uni admins have enabled IMAP, then you need to change the proto from POP3 to IMAP4.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/fetchmail-FAQ.html#S2

Don't know if Debian fetchmail has NTLM activated or not.

Your best bet might be to migrate to Evolution.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA