Re: Reality of SATA hotplug?

Ron Johnson:

> If a loose SATA cable falls off of my DVD drive while the power is on, is
> it ok for me to just slide it back in?  Or should I power the machine
> down?

Generally you don't have to power down. (Of course, if a filesystem on
the drive was mounted, you probably have to fsck it after plugging the
drive back in.)

> If SATA hotplug *does* work "on the desktop", does that also mean that I
> could plug a new hard drive in while the system is running?

Generally yes. But from what I have read, many consumer-grade mainboards
/ SATA controllers don't support that feature very well. But it
shouldn't hurt to just try it.

J.
--
I wish I looked more like a successful person even though I'm a loser.
[Agree]   [Disagree]