Re: questions about lvm2

On 01/21/2009 11:30 PM, Matthew Moore wrote:
On Wednesday 21 January 2009 09:13:07 pm Ron Johnson wrote:
If I have lots of existing data in JBODs, would I create a PV and VG
on the new drive, mv all the data from the existing drives to the
new VG, then add my existing drives (while also enlarging the fs) to
the one-drive VG, thus making an uber-device?

That is exactly what I would do. Everyone warns about how cataclysmic things will happen because your new uber-device has the same failrate as a raid-0 setup, but as long as you backup regularly (perhaps to another LV made from PV's on different disks) this isn't too much to worry about.

Backing up 2+ TB of data will require another 2x 1TB drives. And *another* dual-drive external enclosure.

My wife will *not* be happy...

Also, what's a good HOWTO?  Everything I've found via Google seems
out-of-date.

When I first set up LVM I used the LVM2 howto here

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

The "anatomy" and "common tasks" are really all you need.

Here are the notes I made when I set up LVM. First partition the drives you want to use. Make sure to set the type of the partitions as linux LVM. Next tell LVM2 about them with

$ pvcreate <device name>

You can see what devices are seen by lvm2 with pvdisplay. Next make a VG

$ vgcreate <vg name> <device1> <device2> ...

At this point you might need to activate the volume group

$ vgchange -a y <vg name>

Next make a LV in the VG

Thanks for the tips.  I'm going to save this.

Since you're already using the device-mapper, you also might want to set up encryption with cryptsetup.

:)

Nothing but (non-pr0n) videos...

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.