Re: questions about lvm2

On 01/21/2009 09:59 PM, Matthew Moore wrote:
On Wednesday 21 January 2009 08:43:02 pm Ron Johnson wrote:
1. Since sdX device names are non-deterministic, can I use it with
devices specified as UUIDs?  Or does lvm handle that for me on boot?

lvm stores volume identifiers in a header at the start of the physical volumes, so the device names/uuids don't matter.

2. Why should I partitioning this drive into smaller chunks if
they're all going to go into the same volume?

It doesn't make sense to partition the drive into multiple smaller partitions if they are all going onto the same volume group. If you want multiple volume groups then you will have to bust the drive up into multiple partitions. If you only want one volume group, then you can even get away with having no partitions on the drive (though the lvm docs recommend against this for compatibility with other lvm implementations).

Thanks.

If I have lots of existing data in JBODs, would I create a PV and VG on the new drive, mv all the data from the existing drives to the new VG, then add my existing drives (while also enlarging the fs) to the one-drive VG, thus making an uber-device?

Also, what's a good HOWTO? Everything I've found via Google seems out-of-date.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA