Re: wireless gui configuration utility

2009/1/20 Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:43:58 +0800
"Umarzuki Mochlis" <umarzuki@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/20 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com>
>

> > 2009/1/20 Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>

> >> the

> >> this

> >> That is why wicd doesn't find any wireless networks, if iwlist doesn't
> >> work
> >> manually it won't work for wicd, so your problem (apart for what's
> >> mentioned
> >> bellow) is enabling scanning on the wireless interface.
> >>
> >> Looks from this thread
> >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=790778
> >> that the driver may be problematic, he recommends using ndiswrapper. see
> >> if
> >> that makes iwlist work for you
> >>

> > when i got to the last step to load the .inf file, it says i didn't install
> > the module.
> >
> >> http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ndiswrappertp5.png

> >> wireless
> >> > >

> >> When using wicd and network manager your /etc/network/interfaces should
> >> contain
> >> only the loopback device

> >> You should comment out everything below this for wicd and network manager
> >>

> did that, still iwlist eth1 scan produced the same output as before

does iwconfig say that you are still getting eth1 as the wireless interface?
changing drivers can change the interface name

yes it does

eden:~# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

eth1      IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:""  Nickname:""
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Bit Rate:54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:off
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Managementmode:All packets received
          Link Quality=5/5  Signal level=0 dBm  Noise level=0 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

ppp0      no wireless extensions.