Re: Ext4 vs Ext3, is it really stable ?

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:41:43 +0100
Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am doing my own tests with Ext4. It has better performance than ext3
> FS. On some tests that I have done, I have 40 MB/s more than the same
> hardware with ext3 FS. Have you seen the same ?
>
> My doubt is about the stability, is it really for production use ? I
> want to know that because I am really interested in use in production
> use (like most of us, I think...). I have done some tests about crash
> recovery and I have seen a good response. I have copied a lot of files
> and I have cutted power on server. The filesystem is OK after the power
> is connected again. I want to try with a mysql server on a intensive
> inserting/writing, I think this is a good tes to do, because a database
> server needs very reliable filesystem.
>
> Regards, Adrián

I'm having a good experience with it, but I would use it at least with kernel
2.6.28 and up (when it went from ext4dev to ext4). The problem is that ubuntu
and debian live and rescue cds are kernel 2.6.27 and 2.6.26 respectively so
they won't be able to boot into the system. Also if you want boot on the ext4
partition you will need to use grub2 as grub doesn't support ext4. The last
thing is that laptopmode doesn't seem to work as well with ext4 as of now.