Re: wireless gui configuration utility

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 09:11:56 +0800
"Umarzuki Mochlis" <umarzuki@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/20 Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>
>
> > On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:15:55 +0800
> > "Umarzuki Mochlis" <umarzuki@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > wireless

> > name,
> > > >

> > > Unfortunately nothing appears when I did that which leads me to make this
> > > post in the first place.
> > >

> > what does iwlist eth1 scan show? (that is what wicd is supposed to use
> > behind
> > the scenes)
> >

> eden:~# iwlist eth1 scan
> eth1      Failed to read scan data : Invalid argument

That is why wicd doesn't find any wireless networks, if iwlist doesn't work
manually it won't work for wicd, so your problem (apart for what's mentioned
bellow) is enabling scanning on the wireless interface.

Looks from this thread
that the driver may be problematic, he recommends using ndiswrapper. see if
that makes iwlist work for you

> > did you check that /etc/network/interfaces doesn't mention the wireless
> > interface?

When using wicd and network manager your /etc/network/interfaces should contain
only the loopback device

> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback

You should comment out everything below this for wicd and network manager ...