Re: [Offtopic?] IRC blocked at school

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 02:56:42PM -0800, L Glidewell wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2009 14:48:37 Michael Pobega wrote:

> > > I doubt they block the clients, but rather the ports used by said
> > > clients. Also, try Mibbit if you haven't yet.
> >
> > Well yeah, web-based IRC works but I'd like to avoid it since I monitor
> > so many channels and have accounts on four IRC networks. I'd be a pain
> > to spend a whole two minutes logging into everything.
> >
> > I've read about ezbounce, but I'd need a computer between my own and
> > the IRC server to use it, right? Or could I host it locally for the
> > same effect?
> My point was just that some irc networks offer non-default ports - partly just
> for the security of client software, since non-standard ports make some
> exploits a lot less efficient.

Wow, that actually worked. I didn't realize that Freenode offered
connections on non-standard ports (I actually gave up looking after I
found out they removed SSL encryption, since I figured that's what I
needed).

Thanks for the help, sorry that the answer was so damn trivial. Now
let's wait and see when they realize that I am using IRC... Which will
happen within the week, I'm sure.

--
		    http://identica/mpobega