Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 09:09:49 Micha Feigin wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:22:02 +0100
>
> Sjoerd Hardeman <sjoerd@lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> > Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > I have to wonder how you guys are torturing your systems that they take
> > > longer to boot than Vista... 2.8GHz system with 2GB of RAM, Vista takes
> > > almost 5 minutes to boot.  Debian's at GDM beeping at me to log in in
> > > about 45 seconds.
> >
> > Vista defaults to some sort of suspend to ram, I believe. That of course
> > is much faster. But then I have to admit that suspend to ram and
> > rebooting under Debian are about as fast. And I am starting mail- web-
> > and database services.
> > Which of course doesn't mean that a multi-threaded boot-sequence
> > wouldn't be welcome. There's noting wrong with loading web and database
> > whilst also showing a login prompt.
>
> At least with current unstable it seems that gdm has been moved up the boot
> chain to accommodate for this. It's now at S30gdm, I believe that it used
> to be S90gdm or something similar.

Also, there's insserv. It has taken away about 15 secs of my boot time.

# aptitude install insserv
# cat /usr/share/doc/insserv/README.Debian

After the install, it's a two-step process and you'll have your system booting
faster.

Beware that the boot messages will be kind of scrambled, though, as it starts
services in parallel instead of one by one.

I wouldn't suggest using it on anything before Lenny, though.

-- Cassiano Leal